Kansas City Court Offers Payment Plan
August 28th, 2015
Kansas City, Missouri Municipal Court now allows defendants payment plans on any fines and court costs. When asking for a payment plan, the defendant must pay 10% of the fines within 15 days of pleading guilty and then the defendant is able to make monthly payments on the remaining balance.
If you have a traffic ticket that you need help with, contact our law office at 816-524-4949 or www.hoorfarlaw.com.
Tax Tips when you Sell Your Home
August 27th, 2015
Here are a few tax tips you should know about when you sell your home:
- You can usually exclude (not report) any profit or gain up to $250,000-$500,000 that you receive from the sale of your home.
- You cannot deduct any loss that you receive from the sale of your home.
- You can only exclude the gain from the sale of your home every two (2) years.
- You must report any gain that you receive from the sale of a property that is not your main home.
If you believe you incorrectly filed a tax return or that you need to file a tax return, feel free to set up a consultation with our office by contacting us at 816-524-4949 or www.hoorfarlaw.com.
Divorce Discount for Ashley Madison Victims
August 26th, 2015
Recently, hackers released the names, addresses, logins, email addresses, credit card information, and sexual preferences of anyone who has used or registered with the website Ashley Madison. If you are a victim of the hacker’s release, whether you were the spouse who was cheated on or you were the Ashley Madison user looking for a new flame, our office is willing to help. For a limited time, our law office is offering a discount for any victim of the Ashley Madison hack who desires to obtain a divorce.
If you were a victim of Ashley Madison or you would like a divorce, feel free to contact our office at 816-524-4949 or www.hoorfarlaw.com.
Tax Return for Truckers Due August 31
August 25th, 2015
Truckers and other owners of heavy highway vehicles need to file their next federal highway use tax return on Monday, August 31, 2015. This deadline applies to Form 2290 and is for the tax period from July 1, 2015 to June 30, 2016. This form needs to be filed by anyone who owns a highway vehicle that weighs 55,000 pounds or more.
If you are a truck owner and have tax issues, feel free to contact our office at 816-524-4949 or www.hoorfarlaw.com.
Beware of New IRS Scams
August 20th, 2015
These days, scam artists are posing as IRS agents trying to scare people into paying the scam artists money. In order to stop this scam from happening to you, check out a few of these tips:
- Scam artists use scare tactics and aggressive language to get you to pay them.
- The IRS never calls you about a tax debt. If the IRS believes that you owe them money, they will send you many, many letters regarding the amount they want you to pay.
- Hang up and call the IRS directly. If someone calls you and says that you owe the IRS money, simply hang up the phone, go to the IRS website at ww.irs.gov, and call the IRS directly.
- The IRS will not email you. Similar to phone calls, if the IRS believes that you owe them money, they will send you notice through the mail. The IRS will not email you.
If you believe you have tax issues and would like some assistance, feel free to contact our law office at 816-524-4949 or www.hoorfarlaw.com.
Back-to-School Education Credits
August 19th, 2015
There are two tax tips you should know about sending your children off to college:
- The American Opportunity Credit allows a tax credit of up to $2,500 per year per eligible student. This credit can be claimed for up to the first four (4) years of college. This credit also offers a maximum $1,000 refund.
- The Lifetime Learning Credit is worth up to $2,000 off of your taxes per year. There is no limit as to the number of years you can claim this credit. However, this credit does not offer a refund.
If you believe you made a mistake on a past tax return or need to file a tax return and would like some assistance, feel free to set up a consultation with our office by contacting us at 816-524-4949 or www.hoorfarlaw.com.
Sex Tapes and Bankruptcy
August 18th, 2015
Who says bankruptcy can’t be sexy? In the case of rapper 50 Cent, he has learned about bankruptcy the hard way. Rapper 50 Cent chose to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy after being sued by Lastonia Leviston for $5 million. Ms. Leviston won a $5 million judgment against 50 Cent when 50 Cent violated her privacy when he leaked a sex tape of her online.
If you believe that bankruptcy may be an option for you and would like some information, feel free to contact our law office at 816-524-4949 or www.hoorfarlaw.com.
Terminating Maintenance or Alimony
August 12th, 2015
Maintenance, or alimony, is when one person pays their ex-spouse for a certain period of time after their divorce in order to support their ex-spouse. However, a person’s requirement of maintenance stops, or terminates, when the ex-spouse re-marries. Getting re-married means getting married in a marriage ceremony by a person with the authority to perform the marriage ceremony.
If you are facing a divorce or are paying alimony, contact our law office at 816-524-4949 or visit our website at www.Hoorfarlaw.com.
Cell-Phones can be searched through Warrants
August 11th, 2015
The U.S. Supreme Court has stated that cell phones are now subject to searches as long as the appropriate warrant has been issued. A law enforcement officer cannot search your cell phone without a warrant, unless you voluntarily give them your cell phone.
If you are facing a criminal charge and need some help, contact our law office at 816-524-4949 or www.hoorfarlaw.com.