menu MENU

Archive for October, 2015

Chronic DWIs

October 30th, 2015

dwi 2

Missouri law requires that a chronic DWI offender must serve at least two  (2) years in jail without probation or parole.  If you have been charged with a DUI or DWI, contact our office at or 816-524-4949.

Who Cares What Your Name Is?

October 29th, 2015

my name is 3

A Missouri court certainly doesn’t, as Jillian Johnson of Missouri found out this year.  Jillian challenged a foreclosure on her home because the name of the bank that did the foreclosure, Nationstar Mortgage, LLC, did not exactly match the bank’s name on her mortgage paperwork.  Unfortunately for Jillian, a Missouri court ruled that slight variances in the bank’s name from what is on the documentation has no bearing on a foreclosure. Therefore, the foreclosure was allowed to go through, causing Jillian to lose her home.

If you are facing a foreclosure, contact our law office at 816-524-4949 or

Kansas Offers Tax Amnesty Period

October 28th, 2015

tax tip

Kansas has allowed a tax amnesty for any penalties and interest for taxes accrued before January 1, 2014 as long as the past-due taxes are paid between September 1 and October 15.  The tax amnesty applies to income taxes, estate taxes, payroll taxes, liquor taxes, cigarette taxes, sales taxes, and use taxes.  The tax amnesty does not apply to any taxes that are under appeal or under criminal investigation.

If you would like to apply for the tax amnesty period or need tax assistance, contact our law office at 816-524-4949 or

When is an E-filed Document Considered Filed with the Court

October 27th, 2015


Nowadays, more and more courts are requiring attorneys to e-file their documents in order to reduce the paper overload the court often deals with.  However, technology can often create new problems, and e-filing is no different.  A problem can occur when a document is e-filed with the court, but it is not accepted by the court until a few days later.  This can be a problem because much of the law is dictated by deadlines, and it can be difficult to determine if a deadline has been met because the date that you use can either be when the document was sent to the court or when the document was accepted by the court.  Missouri now states that the date when a document is considered filed is when the document is e-filed with the court and not when it is accepted by the court.

If you are involved in a lawsuit and need assistance, contact our law office at or 816-524-4949.

Being Convicted of Passing a Bad Check

October 23rd, 2015

bad check

If you write a check that does not clear the bank, you can be charged with the crime of passing a bad check.  However, in order to be convicted of passing a bad check, the state must show that you were aware that the check was not going to clear the bank when you wrote the check.

If you have been charged with a crime and need assistance, contact our law office at or 816-524-4949.

When Suing Yourself Can Make Sense

October 22nd, 2015


Sometimes it can make sense to sue yourself.  Here are some examples:

  1. A lady was involved in a car accident, that she caused, that resulted in the death of her husband. The lady sued herself for negligence in operating her vehicle so that her insurance company would pay additional money to her husband’s estate. Why did she sue herself? For more money.
  2. A lady, who worked for the city, was involved in a car accident where she drove her work vehicle into her personal vehicle. She then sued herself, and the city, for damage to her personal vehicle. Why did she sue herself?  For more money.

If you are thinking of suing someone, including yourself, contact our law office at or 816-524-4949.

Types of Student Loans

October 21st, 2015

student debt

There are generally five (5) types of student loans available to students and parents in order to help pay for college:

  1. Subsidized Stafford Loans – A government loan, usually has the lowest interest rate, but borrowers must meet strict income guidelines. Not available to graduate or professional students.
  2. Unsubsidized Stafford Loans – A government loan available to all students, regardless of income.
  3. PLUS Loans – A government loan available to parents with children who are students. Parents must have a good credit history to receive this type of loan.
  4. Consolidation Loans – A government loan available for borrowers with existing student loans who wish to combine multiple loans, extend payment terms, or both.
  5. Private Loans – Available to any student who meets the requirements of the private company loaning the funds.

If you are needing assistance with student loan debt, contact our law office at or 816-524-4949.

No Lawyer = No Good Outcome

October 20th, 2015


When charged with a crime, a person has the right to counsel.  However, that person can also waive their right to an attorney and proceed as their own attorney.  But acting as your own attorney can be dangerous because the court will expect you to know the laws, rules, and regulations that are involved in your case.  And if you make a mistake during your case, there is no one there to clean up your mess. If you have been charged with a crime, contact our law office at 816-524-4949 or

Car Accident Assault

October 16th, 2015

car accident 3

A Missouri court has convicted a person of assault because they reversed their car out of a parking lot too fast and ran over someone’s foot.  If the injury is considered serious, then the assault charge elevates to second degree assault.

If you have been charged with a crime, contact our law office at 816-524-4949 or

Property Division in a Divorce

October 14th, 2015

property division 2

If you are going through a divorce, part of the process involves splitting up the marital property.  Marital property is anything you and your spouse owned, including accrued benefits, while you were married.  Once you are divorced and your property is divided, you cannot modify the property division unless one of the spouses commits some sort of fraud.  Therefore, you better get it right the first time.

If you are going through a divorce, contact our law office at 816-524-4949 or