menu MENU
Hoorfar Law: What We Do - Business Taxes

Business Taxes

How We Can Help

Our law office helps businesses and individuals pay back, reduce, or eliminate their tax debt. Our lawyers are greatly experienced in the areas of taxation and make business tax relief one of the main areas of the law our office focuses on. Our law office helps business and individuals all over the country resolve their federal tax debts with the Internal Revenue Service. Our office also helps taxpayers in Missouri and Kansas resolve their state tax debts with the state departments of revenue.

If you are wanting to repay your tax debt in monthly payments by entering into an installment agreement or making a settlement offer on your tax debt to the Internal Revenue Service through the use of an offer in compromise, we can help.

Our office can help stop garnishments, levies, and liens. We can also help unfreeze bank accounts and savings accounts.

Or, if you have a meeting with a Revenue Officer or other tax collector and you would like to put someone knowledgeable who will fight for you, our office can help. We also help taxpayers with federal and state tax audits.

Federal Business Taxes

The most common form of business tax that gets businesses and self-employed individuals into trouble are payroll taxes. Payroll taxes are the Social Security and Medicare taxes that are withdrawn from an employee's paycheck and are also paid by the employer.

Employers are required to withhold these payroll taxes from the wages earned by their employees and are required to send these withholdings to the Internal Revenue Service. An employer is required to withhold federal income taxes, state income taxes, Social Security taxes and also contribute a portion of Social Security taxes themselves. These withholdings and taxes must then be deposited at a bank for transfer and payment to the Internal Revenue Service in a timely fashion.

Failing to properly file and pay payroll taxes is a very serious matter and can lead, if left uncorrected, to the closing of your business. If an employer fails to timely file and pay payroll taxes, the Internal Revenue Service is authorized to collect these taxes from the business or even the business owners or employees themselves. Failure to correct a delinquent payroll taxes could result in the closure of the business and liquidation of the business assets.

State Income Taxes

In addition to federal tax obligations, businesses and self-employed individuals often also have a state tax obligation.

The most common form of state business tax that gets businesses into trouble are sales taxes. The failure to pay or correct past due sales taxes can result in the closure and liquidation of the business.

Our law office helps businesses in Missouri and Kansas correct and resolve their sales tax problems.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is an EIN?

An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is a federal tax identification number. Simply put, it is a social security number for your business. Generally, all businesses must have an EIN in order to file their tax returns with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The IRS uses the EIN to identify business taxpayers.

Do I need an employer identification number as a sole proprietor (EIN)?

Sole proprietors need to obtain an identification number if they, pay wages to one or more employees, or file pension or excise tax returns. Otherwise, your social security number is your taxpayer identification number.

I have formed a limited liability company (LLC). The LLC has no employees. Will I need a separate Federal Tax ID number for the LLC?

If you are the sole owner of the LLC and have no employees for the LLC, you will not need a separate Federal Tax ID number for the LLC. You will need a separate Federal Tax ID number for the LLC if you are not the sole owner of the LLC or if the LLC has employees.

My entire address won't fit on the address line on the Internet application, what can I do?

IRS systems only allow 35 characters on the street address line. If your address does not fit, then make sure you provide the most essential address information (i.e., apartment numbers, suite numbers, etc). The IRS will validate the address you’ve provided with the United States Postal Service’s database and will make any necessary changes to the address.

I don’t like the internet. Can my business entity be excluded from applying for an EIN on-line?

No. All businesses located in the United States or in one of the U.S. Territories must apply for an EIN online. The Applicant must have one of the following in order to use the online application: a valid Taxpayer Identification Number in the form of a Social Security Number, Employer Identification Number, or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. If you do not have the above mentioned you will need to contact the IRS directly.

What steps should I take to avoid tax trouble with the IRS?

Many individuals, big and small, find themselves in trouble with the IRS simply because of poorly kept records. Ignoring good recording keep practices often leads to failure to file accurate tax returns, which can lead to audits. If you are audited and have poorly kept records, you can land in big, costly trouble.