menu MENU
Hoorfar Law: What We Do - Child Support

Child Support

How We Can Help

Our law office helps our clients obtain, modify, or terminate child support and alimony. Whether you are needing to adjust the amount that you receive, adjust the amount that you pay, or stop altogether, our office can assist you in obtaining those goals.


In Missouri, child support is usually brought up in one of the following situations: (1) by a parent before the Division of Family Services, (2) because of a divorce, or (3) because of a paternity action.

The amount of child support to be paid or received is calculated by using Missouri Form 88 and Missouri Rule 14. This calculation takes into account both parents' gross monthly income, other child support payments, court ordered payments, child care expenses, health insurance, the costs of overnight visitation, and the cost of extra-curricular activities.

Usually, the obligation of a parent to pay child support terminates upon one of the following situations: (1) the child dies, (2) the child marries, (3) the child enters the military, (4) the child becomes self-supporting, or (5) the child reaches age 18 and does not attend college.

Missouri has additional rules regarding child support when a child is over age 18 and is attending college.


Kansas child support guidelines are based on the Income Shares Model for calculating child support. The monthly support amount determined by applying the guidelines is divided proportionally according to each parent's income. These two support amounts are then offset to establish which parent will pay the other parent for support of the child. All income is typically verified by examining past W-2's and child support worksheets are available at the courthouse.

The court shall make provisions for the support and education of the minor children. The court may modify or change any prior order, within three years of the date of the original order or a modification order, when a material change in circumstances is shown, irrespective of the present domicile of the child or the parents.