menu MENU
Hoorfar Law: What We Do - Traffic Tickets

Traffic Tickets

How We Can Help

Our law office helps drivers with any sort of traffic ticket ranging from speeding tickets to DUI/DWI to commercial license violations. If you have recently received a traffic ticket or violation and need some legal help, contact our office as soon as possible. If you wait too long to contact our office about your traffic violation, time may have run out and your options may have expired.

Traffic Violations

The States of Missouri and Oklahoma have a point system to regulate and control an individual's driver's license. Most traffic tickets and violations, if found or pled guilty, assess points to a driver's license in order to punish the driver. The more points you have on your license, the more severe the punishment. For example, in Missouri, a city speeding ticket can assess 2 points on your license, but a DUI/DWI can assess 8 points on your license.

In Missouri, a person's driver's license may be suspended if a driver accumulates 8 points in any 18 month period. In Missouri, a person's driver's license may be revoked if a driver accumulates 12 points in a 12 month period, 18 points in a 24 month period, or 24 points in a 36 month period.

In Oklahoma, a person's driver's license may be suspended if a driver accumulates 10 points in any 60 month period.

The State of Kansas does not use a point system. Instead, certain traffic violations, when found guilty or pled guilty, automatically revoke the driver's license. Also, if a driver is found guilty of three or more traffic moving violations within a 12 month period, then the driver's license will be suspended.


The States of Missouri, Kansas, and Oklahoma treat DUIs and DWIs very differently.

In the State of Missouri when a person is charged with a DUI or a DWI, the person is charged with two violations. The first violation is a criminal violation which results in points being assessed on the driver's license and possible suspension or revocation of the license. The second violation is an administrative alcohol violation which results in an automatic suspension/revocation (unless appealed and won through the Administrative Hearing or Trial DeNovo process), even if the ticket is disposed of in court or reduced to a lesser charge.

In the State of Kansas when a person is charged with a DUI or a DWI, the person is charged with a criminal offense. A Kansas DUI conviction can carry such penalties as fines up to $2,500, jail time of up to one year, suspended license for up to one year, and mandatory alcohol and drug treatment programs at the driver's own expense. Also, the driver will be responsible for the court costs, supervision fees and other expenses will be the driver's responsibility as well as increased insurance rates.

In the State of Oklahoma, a person's first offense can be a misdemeanor with 10 days in jail and a $1,000 or less fine. A person's second offense can be a felony with one year in jail and a $2,500 or less fine.

If you are arrested for DUI while driving a commercial vehicle, not only will you face the same penalties as a person in a passenger car, but you may also automatically lose your CDL (and the main part of your livelihood) for one year.

In Missouri, if you are younger than 21 with a BAC of .02% or higher, you'll face an automatic 30-day driver's license suspension, followed by 330 days of restricted driving privileges. In Oklahoma, if you are younger than 21 with a BAC of .01% or higher, you can have your driver's license revoked.

License Reinstatements

The States of Missouri and Kansas can suspend or revoke a driver's license for a variety of reasons.

However, you may be able to get reinstated and have your driving privileges returned to you. Our law office can assist you with the process of getting reinstated in order to get you legally driving again.

Sometimes a driver is not able to get reinstated for one reason or another, but our office still may get you driving again. Depending on the situation, you may qualify for a limited driving privilege that allows you to drive only to certain destinations, such as work, school, or the grocery store.

In order to get reinstated or to receive a limited driving privilege, contact our office as soon as possible.

Frequently Asked Questions

Should I fight my traffic ticket?

When you get a traffic ticket, you have the option of pleading guilty or not-guilty. If you plead guilty to your ticket, then you are informing the court that you committed the traffic offense and that you accept the punishment that the Judge gives you and that goes wih your traffic offense. If you plead not-guilty, you are telling the court that you do not believe you committed the traffic offense that caused you to get the ticket and that you want the Prosecutor to prove that you are guilty. The Prosecutor is the attorney hired by the city, county, or state to prove, using any evidence they have against you, that you committed the traffic crime. In order for you and the Prosecutor to prove your cases, the court must have a trial. A trial is when you get to tell the Judge why you believe you are not-guilty and the Prosecutor gets to tell the Judge why you are guilty. Once the Judge hears from you and the Prosecutor, the Judge will make a decision. If the Judge decides that you have proven your case, then you will be found not-guilty and your traffic ticket is terminated. You are free to go and nothing happens to you or your driving record. However, if the Judge decides that the Prosecutor proved their case, then you will be found guilty. When you are found guilty, the Judge will punish you by making you pay a fine, pay court costs, go to jail, or a combination thereof.

Why should I hire a lawyer to fight my traffic ticket?

By hiring a lawyer to help you fight your ticket, you are hiring a professional to help you get the best outcome possible for your traffic ticket. A good lawyer will review your ticket, review your prior criminal history, and let you know what options you have and what outcomes are available to you. The lawyer will also go to court with you, or go to court for you (depending on the type of ticket you receive), and speak to the Judge and the Prosecutor on your behalf. While each person's situation is different, the lawyer will fight on your behalf to reduce the court fine, reduce or eliminate time in jail, keep your criminal record as clean as possible, negotiate an amendment or a plea deal for you, or a combination thereof. When you hire a lawyer, you are ensuring that you will get the best outcome possible for your case. A lawyer will always work with the Prosecutor and the Judge to get the best deal available to you. But if you do not hire a lawyer, most times your options are to plead guilty or not-guilty, and most likely you will not get a plea deal or amendment of your traffic ticket.

What happens if I do not go to court?

If you receive a traffic ticket, you must either appear in court or state that you are not-guilty by a certain deadline. You will know if you have a court date because the court date, court time, and court location will be printed somewhere on your traffic ticket. If you are given a court date and you do not appear, you will automatically be found guilty and a warrant will be placed for your arrest. A warrant allows any police officer to arrest you and take you to the court where you originally did not appear. If this occurs, the court could ask you to pay additional court costs and fines on top of the original court costs and fine.

I received a speeding ticket, should I just pay the fine?

If you pay the fine for a speeding ticket without hiring an attorney, you are pleading guilty to the speeding ticket. After you plead guilty, the speeding ticket will go on your driving record. Once the speeding ticket appears on your record, the speeding ticket could result in the suspension or loss of your driver's license. In addition, your car insurance company will discover that you received a speeding ticket and will most likely raise your insurance premium rates because of the ticket. In general, the more tickets you have on your driving record, the more expensive your car insurance will be.

If I plead guilty, will I lose my license to drive?

It is possible. Depending on how many tickets you had on your driving record before you plead guilty to a ticket, another ticket on your driving record could result in the suspension or loss of your driver's license. Depending on the type of tickets you have on your record and the type of ticket you are pleading to, you may or may not lose your driving ability if you plead guilty to another traffic ticket. Different tickets have different punishments assigned to them, meaning the worse the traffic ticket is the worse it will be on your record and the more likely your driver's license will be suspended or terminated.

What is the Missouri points system?

Every time you plead guilty to a traffic violation and you have a Missouri driver's license, the Missouri Department of Revenue assesses points on your driving record. The more points you accumulate, the worse your punishment will be from the Missouri Department of Revenue. In addition, insurance companies check this system to increase your insurance premiums. If you accumulate eight (8) points within an eighteen (18) month period, your license can be suspended. If you accumulate twelve or more points within a twelve (12) month period, your license can be revoked. However, hiring an attorney can usually decrease the amount of points assessed or get rid of the points entirely when you receive a speeding ticket. It is always best to consult with an attorney before pleading guilty to any ticket.

How much will my traffic ticket cost me?

If you plead guilty to a ticket, the fine and court costs should be printed on the ticket. However, every city and county have their own charges for a ticket. In addition, every ticket has its own fines and costs. Therefore, the answer depends on what kind of ticket you received and where you got it. However, if you are wanting to know how much it would be to have our law office amend (fix) your ticket, visit our website at By visiting this website, you are able to determine how much it will cost, both in attorney fees and court costs and fines, in order to amend your ticket to stop from getting points on your license or decrease the amount of points assessed on your driving record. Can't find your ticket on our website? Feel free to e-mail or call us and we will be happy to give you a free estimate.

What is a diversion?

A diversion is what Kansas calls a Missouri traffic ticket amendment. A diversion is simply a deal, or agreement, that is worked out with the court. Depending on the nature of the ticket or charge, a diversion usually allows for the dismissal or reduction of a ticket or charge as long as the agreement is followed. Generally, the agreement is for an increased fine, community service, staying out of trouble for a year, or a combination thereof.

What is an amendment?

An amendment is the Missouri version of a Kansas diversion. Just like a diversion, a traffic ticket amendment is when a deal is worked out with the court in exchange for the dismissal or reduction of a ticket or charge. In general, in order to receive an amendment of your ticket, you and your attorney will most likely agree to an increased fine, community service, staying out of trouble for a set period of time, or a combination thereof.

What should I do if I receive a traffic ticket?

Contact our office, either by e-mail, telephone, fax, in-person, or using our website, and our law office would be happy to discuss your options, what it would cost to take care of your ticket, and how we can help. Of course, we will talk to you about your ticket free of charge. We do not make any money until you decide to hire us to fix, amend, or divert your ticket. If you decide not to hire us, you won't owe us a penny.