menu MENU

Archive for December, 2015

Statute of Limitations for Fraud

December 30th, 2015

fraud 3

The legal phrase “statute of limitations” simply means the deadline for some event.  The statute of limitations, or deadline, to discover a fraud that has occurred against you in Missouri is ten (10) years.  Once you discover the fraud, which can happen at any time during the ten (10) years, you have five (5) years to sue the person who committed the fraud against you.

If you believe you have been a victim of fraud and would like to discuss your legal options, feel free to contact our law office at 816-524-4949 or visit our website at

One Fight can lead to Multiple Assaults

December 28th, 2015


A person can be convicted of assault if they intend to injure someone and they physically touch that person.  During a fight, a person can hit someone multiple ways, such as pulling their hair, choking them, and punching them.  Although there is one fight, each type of physical contact (hair pulling, choking, punching) constitutes a separate act of assault.  Therefore, if someone gets in a fight and pulls the victim’s hair and chokes the victim, the person has committed two assaults.

If you have been charged with an assault and need to speak to someone, feel free to contact our law office at 816-524-4949 or visit our website at

Elements for the Crime of Enticing a Minor

December 23rd, 2015

criminal 2
In order to be convicted of enticing a minor, the state needs to show that the defendant made a substantial step toward meeting the minor. The fact that no minor existed, or that a time and place for the meeting had not been set, makes no difference. If you or someone you know has been charged with this crime, contact us at 816-524-4949.

Attorney Fees in a Divorce

December 22nd, 2015

divorce fees

If you are facing a divorce, you have the ability to ask the judge for your spouse to pay your attorney fees.  However, you cannot ask for your attorney fees to be paid if your spouse is challenging your relocation request in good faith.  When going through a divorce, it may be prudent for you to ask for your attorney fees to be reimbursed by your spouse.

If you are facing a divorce and would like some assistance, contact our law office at 816-524-4949 or visit our website at

Have You Been Injured?

December 18th, 2015


Have you been injured in an accident of some sort, like a work accident or a car accident?  If so, our law office may be able to assist you.  We help our clients through tough times in their lives, including when they have been injured by someone.

If you were injured by someone and would like to speak to an attorney, contact our law office at 816-524-4949 or visit our website at

Appealing Your Missouri Tax Notice

December 17th, 2015

tax tip

Missouri law allows a taxpayer to appeal a tax assessment by the Missouri Department of Revenue within sixty (60) days from mailing or delivery of the tax assessment, whichever is earlier.  Even if Missouri mails the notice of assessment to the wrong address, as long as the address was the last known address that Missouri had for you, that mailing constitutes delivery of the assessment.

If you have a tax problem and would like some assistance, contact our law office at 816-524-4949 or

Losing What You Were Awarded in a Divorce in Kansas

December 16th, 2015

court representation

Kansas law states that a person must execute on a judgment within seven (7) years of the entry of the divorce decree.  In a recent Kansas court case, Janice Larimore learned this lesson the hard way when she failed to prepare and execute a qualified domestic relations order (QDRO) to receive her ex-husband’s retirement benefits within the seven (7) year period.  The court ruled that since she did not act within the seven (7) years, she could no longer receive her ex-husband’s retirement benefits.

If you are going through a divorce, feel free to contact our law office at 816-524-4949 or

Losing the Home Sale Exclusion Rule

December 15th, 2015

home sale

The United States tax code, Section 121(a), allows a taxpayer to sell their primary personal residence tax free as long as the taxpayer lived in the property for two or more years.  However, the maximum amount that can be tax free under this rule is $250,000 for single taxpayers, $500,000 for married taxpayers.

Section 1038 of the tax code states that if the taxpayer reacquires the home after treating the sale of the home tax free, then the second sale of the home by the taxpayer is not tax free.  Basically, you can sell your home the first time tax free, but the second time is going to cost you some taxes.

If you are having tax issues or are needing tax preparation services, contact our law office at 816-524-4949 or

Getting Child Support from Social Security

December 11th, 2015


If you have a child support order stating that you should receive child support, but your ex isn’t paying the court-ordered support, then you may be able to deduct the child support from their Social Security.

If your ex is receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI), then you will not be able to deduct your child support from your ex’s Social Security payments.  However, if your ex receives retirement, disability, or survivor benefits from Social Security, then you are able to deduct your child support from their payments.

If you need assistance collecting unpaid child support, contact our law office at 816-524-4949 or visit our website at

$10,000 or More

December 10th, 2015


Businesses in the U.S. and U.S. territories must file Form 8300 to report any cash payment in excess of $10,000.00.  The form must be filed within fifteen (15) days of the transaction.  Some examples of businesses that often have to file this form are jewelry stores, furniture stores, boat stores, automobile dealerships, real estate brokers, insurance companies, and even attorneys.  IF you are facing a tax problem, contact our office at or 816-524-4949.